Pilates was first established in 1920 by Joseph Pilates as a means to rehabilitate athletes and dancer back to fitness after injury.
Pilates is now used as a general fitness tool for the general public although it is still used a rehabilitation or life enhancing tool for physios and other health professionals. Pilates is amazing for rehabilitating an injury or learning to work around one.
Other health benefits of Pilates include:
- improved flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone, particularly of your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body)
- balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body
- enhanced muscular control of your back and limbs
- improved stabilisation of your spine
- improved posture
- rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- improved physical coordination and balance
- relaxation of your shoulders, neck and upper back
- safe rehabilitation of joint and spinal injuries
- safe exercise for neurological conditions
- safe for exercise during pregnancy and the postnatal period
- prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- improved concentration
- increased body awareness
- stress management and relaxation
- complimentary discipline alongside your usual activity
Yoga Orkney® runs Powered by Pilates mat classes with or without small handheld equipment and soon to Powered by Pilates Tower and Reformer classes too.